Wednesday, February 17, 2016

EO phEOnix Cipher Disciphered

The Finding of Facts In Dreams:
"SHAKESPEARE'S" PHOENIX CIPHER
©Elwood LeRoy Miller, 2/17/2016

“Is All That We See Or Seem
But A Cipher In A Cipher’s Dream?” 
                                                 elm

Consumed with exhausting labor,
I took me to my dream-bedraggled bed,
Fresh rimes ringing in my head, all for to savor,
And integrate, with concinnity, what 's said—
   What needs be said, in what I write,
   For Truth is true, only if it’s said right.

And in the depths of my exhausted sleep
I had a dream, a very special One.
As, before my Muses' court, I, bowing deep,
Came to Motion that, my duty done,
   I be released from these demanding labors,
   Which consumes my life, yet none savors.

In my dream, I merely looked upon the scene,
The cluttered pile of books, facsimiles,
Scattered documents and articles--my Poet's Den
Crammed full to overflowing, if you please.
   In my poor rooms, more knowledge than space,
   Yet, here, it happened, that miracle called grace.

Before I could think, in my dream, I quoted:
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream
Within a dream?"  Suddenly All  was sorted!
Here, in the clutter of my poor poet's den,
  Of highest Order, a Poet's long sought vision:
  "O, my God, the Phoenix has arisen!"

And, awaken'd  to my next mortal day,
I, perfunctorily got up, made my coffee,
Went to my coffee table where I play
At philosophy, art, and poetry—
   Opened my journal to its last page
  And there I read, what may Ever Live An Age:

                                *****

"Yea, the illiterate that know not how
To cipher what is writ in learned books,
   Will cote my loathsome trespass in my looks.

(Rape of Lucrece, p. 75 - Yale Shakespeare, (“cote” = “quote”)

                      *******
And Lastly this:

"So they lov'd as love in twain
Had the essence but in one.
Two distincts, division none,         (“two distincts” = distinctions)
Number there in love was slain."

(The Phoenix and the Turtle, p.113, Yale Shakespeare)


Disciphered:
"So they lov'd as lOvE in twain         [his two identies, O and E]
Had the essence but in OnE.             [OE = EO, the essence of one]
Two distincts, division nOnE,            [two names but OnE, w/o division]
Number there in lOvE was slain."    [“one” was killed as a number]


ELM

No comments: